- Use proper ventilation in buildings and silos.
- Keep entrances to grain, feed and silage storage areas closed and locked.
- Post warning signs in feed and silage storage areas about the hazard of entrapment in flowing grain or feed.
- Maintain silo and bin ladders in good condition.
- Shield auger inlets to prevent contact with augers.
- Cover loading troughs on augers, elevators and conveyors with grating.
- Use caution when moving augers and elevators; check for overhead power lines.
- Assure that shields are in place for all feeding, grinding and other equipment.
- Be aware of health effects of breathing organic dust, and inform your doctor about recent dust exposure when seeking treatment for respiratory illness.
- Use automated or mechanized equipment to move decayed materials.
- Use source containment, local exhaust ventilation and wet methods to control organic dust.
- Use appropriate respiratory protection when dust exposure is unavoidable.
- Establish good sanitation, vaccination and inoculation programmes.
- When working with animals, plan an escape exit; have at least two ways out.
- Livestock handlers should have enough strength and experience for the job.
- Avoid working with animals when you are tired.
- Use caution when approaching animals so as not to startle them.
- Know the animals and be patient with them.
- Dehorn dangerous animals.
- Post warning signs where chemicals are stored; lock them in a room or cabinet.
- Mix all chemicals outside or in a well-ventilated area.
- Be careful when leading animals.
- Wear rubber gloves when treating sick animals.
- Vaccinate animals, and quarantine sick animals.
- Wash hands after contact with calves with diarrhoea (scours).
Containment and housing
- Make sure all pens, gates, loading chutes and fences are in good repair and strong enough to contain the animal.
- Do not allow tobacco smoking around farm buildings and fuel storage and refueling areas; post “no smoking” signs in these areas.
- Maintain fully charged ABC-type fire extinguishers in major farm buildings.
- Remove trash and debris around buildings to prevent fires and falls.
- Keep all buildings in good repair.
- Keep electrical wiring in good condition.
- Use adequate lighting in all buildings.
- Keep floors clean and free of broken concrete and slippery areas.
- Correctly dispose of all chemical containers following directions on the label.
- Install vent pipes and exhaust fans in manure pits.